A 2023 SEO Checklist is a comprehensive guide that outlines the essential tasks and strategies to optimize your website for search engines in the year 2023. SEO, or Search Engine Optimization, continues to evolve, and staying up-to-date with the latest trends and techniques is crucial for achieving high search engine rankings and driving organic traffic to your site. Here’s a comprehensive SEO checklist for 2023:
This checklist aims to provide you with a comprehensive collection of tips, tricks and best practices that help you to optimize and streamline your SEO efforts. The guide covers a wide range of important SEO aspects from A to Z that we recommend you to consider for an efficient and targeted SEO strategy.
So what are you waiting for? Let’s dive right in!
1. Mobile-First Optimization:
- Ensure your website is responsive and mobile-friendly.
- Optimize page speed for mobile devices.
- Test your website’s mobile usability regularly.
2. Core Web Vitals:
- Focus on improving Core Web Vitals metrics like LCP, FID, and CLS.
- Utilize tools like Google PageSpeed Insights to identify and fix issues.
3. High-Quality Content:
- Create informative, engaging, and valuable content for your target audience.
- Use natural language and conversational content that answers user queries.
4. Voice Search Optimization:
- Optimize for voice search by using long-tail keywords and answering common questions concisely.
5. E-A-T (Expertise, Authoritativeness, Trustworthiness):
- Establish your website’s authority by showcasing expertise in your niche.
- Build trust through high-quality backlinks and positive reviews.
6. Schema Markup:
- Implement structured data markup to enhance search results with rich snippets.
- Use Schema.org guidelines to mark up relevant content.
7. User Experience (UX):
- Prioritize user-friendly website design and navigation.
- Optimize for a seamless user journey and accessibility.
8. Technical SEO:
- Conduct regular site audits to identify and fix technical issues.
- Optimize meta tags, headers, and URLs for search engines.
9. Mobile-First Indexing:
- Ensure your website’s mobile version is equivalent to the desktop version.
- Monitor Google Search Console for mobile-first indexing issues.
10. Page Experience Signals: – Focus on factors like HTTPS, no intrusive interstitials, and safe browsing. – Implement security measures to protect user data.
11. Video SEO: – Create video content and optimize it for search engines and video platforms. – Use relevant keywords, engaging thumbnails, and video transcripts.
12. Local SEO: – Optimize for local search by creating and optimizing your Google My Business profile. – Encourage customer reviews and citations.
13. Content Freshness: – Update and refresh older content regularly. – Add new, relevant information to keep your website current.
14. AI and Voice Assistant Optimization: – Leverage AI tools for content creation and analysis. – Optimize for voice assistants like Siri, Alexa, and Google Assistant.
15. International SEO: – Implement hreflang tags for multilingual websites. – Use geotargeting in Google Search Console for country-specific targeting.
16. Social Signals: – Promote content on social media platforms. – Encourage social sharing and engagement.
17. Analytics and Monitoring: – Regularly review website analytics to track performance. – Use data to make informed decisions and adjust your SEO strategy.
18. Backlink Audit: – Monitor and disavow toxic or low-quality backlinks. – Build high-quality, relevant backlinks through outreach and content.
19. AI-Powered SEO Tools: – Explore and utilize AI-driven SEO tools for data analysis and keyword research.
20. Adapt to Algorithm Changes: – Stay updated with search engine algorithm updates. – Be ready to adapt your SEO strategy accordingly.
21. Some more Basic SEO checks list:
- Install Google Tag Manager on your WordPress Website
- Install Google Tag Manager to a Shopify Store
- Check & Set Up Google Analytics using a WordPress Plug In
- Check & Set Up Google Analytics to your Shopify Store
- Check & Set Up Google Analytics with Google Tag Manager
- Setting up Google Search Console (GSC)
- Setting up Bing Webmaster Tools
- How to Connect and add Google Search Console data to Google Analytics
- Install Yoast SEO plug-in on your WordPress website
- Setting up Uptime Monitoring (and minimize downtime)
- Improve TrustRank with Public WHOIS and Domain Registration Length
- How to configure HTTPS and get a Free SSL for your AWS website using Cloudflare
- How to configure HTTPS and get a Free SSL for your GCP website using Cloudflare
- Set Up Keyword Rank Tracking
- Set Up Backlinks Monitoring
- Configure Permalinks / SEO Friendly URLs
- Check if your Website is Mobile Friendly
- Check your website loading time
- Keep URLs Short
- Check and Optimize Your 404 Page
- Make it easy to share your content
- Claim your Brand on Multiple Social Networks
- Record User Sessions & Heatmaps to understand your users experience
- Use a Top-Performing Web Host
- Check The Server is Located Close to Your Service Area
- Use a CDN
- Check for Gzip Compression
- Check for HTTP/2
- Use a Caching Solution
- Minify JS/CSS Files
- Resize Large Images at Upload
- Compress and Optimize images
- Lazy Load Images & Iframes (YouTube embeds, etc)
- Always an up to date Technology (WordPress Plugin/Theme/Software)
- Optimize Database
- Check for HTTPS
- Check for one single WWW version
- Fix mixed content
- Create an XML Sitemap Manually & Add it to Google Search Console (GSC)
- Create an XML Sitemap with WordPress / Yoast & Add it to Google Search Console (GSC)
- Create a robots.txt File
- Consolidate duplicate URLs with Canonical tag
- Check and Fix Broken Links
- Check and Fix Redirect Chains
- Fix Missing and Duplicate Meta Titles and Descriptions
- Use Redirects Properly
- Check for Index Coverage Issues
- Check for Manual Penalties
- Keep Pages at Maximum 3 Clicks from Reach
- Use “noindex” and “nofollow” Tags Properly
- Disable Irrelevant Pages from Being Indexed (noindex)
- Have a Solid SEO Content Strategy
- Do Keyword Research
- Create Long-Form Content
- Create 10x Content
- Identify & Fix Content Cannibalization
- Identify and Fix Duplicate Content
- Create Content Hubs
- “Feed” the Hubs with Supporting Content
- Update Content on a Regular Basis
- Add Content to Your Categories
- Build Up E-A-T
- How to outsource & scale content writing
- Write for People, not for Search Engines
- Check the Target Keyword Matches User Intent
- Have the target keyword in URL, Title and Heading
- Use Focus Keyword in 1st Paragraph
- Use a Single H1 on Each Page
- Set an Enticing, yet SEO-Oriented Meta Title
- Write a Compelling Meta Description
- Use Subheadings for Content Hierarchy
- Format and Style the Content Properly
- Link to Relevant Inner Pages
- Link out to relevant, authoritative websites
- Never Link to a Page/Website with the Same Anchor the Current Page is Targeting
- Name Your Images Properly
- Set Images Alt Text
- Check for Social Markup
- Check Dwell Time and Optimize It
- Strike for the Featured Snippet
- Don’t Over-Optimize
- Have a Solid Link Building Strategy
- Implement the “Competitive Analysis” framework to find SEO Opportunities
- Build Foundational Links
- Interlink Social Networks
- Start a Guest-Blogging Campaign for Link Building on Niche-Related Blogs
- Start a Resources Page Link-Building Campaign
- Ask Partners you’ve Worked with for a Link
- Turn Brand Mentions into Links
- Use Social Signals to Boost your Page Rankings
- Schedule Social Posting
- Blog Commenting Link Building
- Claim your Google My Business Listing
- Claim Your Yelp Listing
- Claim your Bing Places for Business Listing
- Optimize Listings
- Get on General Relevant Directories
- Get on Niche-specific Directories
- Reach Out for Reviews
- Reply to Reviews
- Publish Google Posts
- Check for Site-wide NAP Details
- Have Consistent NAP Details Across the Site
- Have Consistent NAP Details on Listings & Social Networks
- Have a Content Strategy Targeting Local Topics
- Claim Brand Mentions from Local Sites
- Add Local Business Markup to your Homepage
- Geotag your pictures
- Install a WordPress Blog on Amazon Web Service (AWS) with 12 Free Months
- Install a WordPress Blog on Google Cloud Platform (GCP) with $300 Free Credits
- How to Pick and Install a Theme for your WordPress Website
- Buy your own domain on GoDaddy
- How to assign your domain to your AWS using Cloudflare
- How to assign your domain to your Google Cloud Platform using Cloudflare
- How to assign your domain to your AWS using GoDaddy
- How to assign your domain to your Google Cloud Platform using GoDaddy
- Get G-Suite (Gmail, Docs, Drive, Calendar, Meet and more) for your domain
- Create your first G-Suite user & alias and check your email using Gmail
- Setup a Catch-All Email for your domain
- Backup and restore a WordPress website
We hope that this checklist expanded your SEO knowledge and that you found our tips helpful! We are aware many of these chapters have only scratched the surface while the underlying topic could fill many pages itself. However, this would go beyond the scope of our guide – see it as a starting point to dig deeper wherever you feel the need to!